Adding and editing users in Active Directory.
This quick start guide will provide an overview of managing users via the MyCloudIT portal. This can be used for Microsoft Remote Desktop Services (RDS) and Azure Virtual Desktop (AVD/WVD) deployments. The MCIT portal communicates with your domain controller to perform active directory functions increasing efficiency of common day to day AD tasks. MCIT User management does not require the MCIT RDS agent.
Acronyms used in this document:
- AAD - Azure Active Directory (Microsoft cloud hosted as a service)
- AD - Active Directory (An instance of an Microsoft Active Directory Domain Services install on a physical server, VM in azure, etc)
- RDS - Remote Desktop Services (Microsoft's suite of services for delivering thin clients with a full desktop or 'remote apps' via the Windows server operating system)
- AVD - Azure Virtual Desktop (Microsoft's platform for delivering Windows shared/personal virtual desktops/applications via Azure) - AKA WVD
- AADC-CS - Azure Active Directory Connect Cloud Sync (One of Microsoft's systems you can use for facilitating AD hybrid identity)
Adding a User Account
- After you complete the Initial Setup, then click "+ADD" to add a new AD user account.
- Fill out all the details and click Create.
Note: Not all options are available on user creation, some options require you to edit the user after creation.
Editing a User Account
- After you complete the Initial Setup, the users table is displayed. Click on the ellipses next to the user you want to edit and then click Open.
- Change the details you want to edit and then click Next.
- On the User Groups screen you can edit the AD groups that the user is a member of.
- Note: It is strongly encouraged that everyday users are never members of privileged access security groups like 'Administrators' or 'Domain Admins'. If certain tasks require some form of elevated access then this can be achieved other ways, reach out to your local Windows security professional or MCIT support for general advice.
- Once groups are selected, click UPDATE to set the users new details.
- Note: You can display more groups by selecting "Items per page 100" at the bottom of the user groups screen.
- To manage user access for RDS collections and AVD host pools, follow these instructions: Assign AD User Access