Overview of Active Directory and initial user setup
This quick start guide will provide an overview of managing users via the MyCloudIT portal. This can be used for Microsoft Remote Desktop Services (RDS) and Azure Virtual Desktop (AVD/WVD) deployments. The MCIT portal communicates with your domain controller to perform active directory functions increasing efficiency of common day to day AD tasks. MCIT User management does not require the MCIT RDS agent.
Acronyms used in this document:
- AAD - Azure Active Directory (Microsoft cloud hosted as a service)
- AD - Active Directory (An instance of an Microsoft Active Directory Domain Services install on a physical server, VM in azure, etc)
- RDS - Remote Desktop Services (Microsoft's suite of services for delivering thin clients with a full desktop or 'remote apps' via the Windows server operating system)
- AVD - Azure Virtual Desktop (Microsoft's platform for delivering Windows shared/personal virtual desktops/applications via Azure) - AKA WVD
- AADC-CS - Azure Active Directory Connect Cloud Sync (One of Microsoft's systems you can use for facilitating AD hybrid identity)
The first time you navigate to the Active Directory page, you will have to perform the initial user management configuration. You will be presented with a message similar to:
"This process will enable WinRM on the domain controller. The domain controller must have a public IP address (If deployed via MCT this is already the case). TCP Port 5986 will be opened to MCIT only and the required MyCloudIT IP address will be whitelisted. Please allow time for firewall settings to change as this is not immediate."
You can agree and wait for the MCIT system to configure user management.
Note: In certain circumstances, such as if the domain controller has been de-allocated and turned back on you will be prompted to perform the initial setup again. This is fine it will just check and activate the service again.
- Log in to the MyCloudIT portal and if applicable to the correct customer.
- Navigate to Manage > Active Directory and then click User Setup.
- Follow the wizard to completion.
- To add and edit users, follow these instructions: Manage AD Users
- To manage user access for RDS collections and AVD host pools, follow these instructions: Assign AD User Access